Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Lifelong Learning - some thoughts

"The only kind of learning which significantly influences behavior is self-discovered or self-appropriated learning - truth that has been assimilated in experience." - Carl Rogers

You can see from my blog that I don't do things in order. I'm not trying to be different. I just like to do the fun things first. Finding photos n' animations is fun. Writing about what's going on in my head...now that's hard. Where do I start when there's so much stuff swimming around in this thick skull?

I think I've been a lifelong learner since childhood and have always been interested in how things work or what makes them tick. As a kid I grew up in rural Mesa with all kinds of farm animals, frogs, snakes, crawdads, and weird creatures, like hair snakes. That's what we called them because they looked like a strand of horse hair...but that's another story.

Of the 7-1/2 habits, the most difficult for me is "Beginning with the end in mind." No matter how hard I try to follow this habit, I invariably end up getting sidetracked. On the journey toward the end there is usually something along that path that I find more interesting and off I go on a tangent. Eventually I find my way back to the original path but by that time I've forgotten what "the end" was. I have to admit that I do learn alot though along the way and I enjoy myself. At some point, I remember what "the end" was and invariably accomplish it.

* * * *

"Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails. What puts man in a higher state of evolution is that he has got his laugh on the right end." ~Max Eastman

Habit #7-1/2 - Play. This one is my favorite things and also the easiest. It's got to be everyone's favorite right? Thankfully, I've never lost my sense of playfulness. Sometimes life can make it hard for one to feel playful but I think that it is an absolute necessity for our mental and emotional wellbeing. You have to be able to have fun once in awhile and above all, be willing to laugh at yourself and with others.

Learning new technology can be fun and in the process of learning it, you can definitely play. Look at the images I found below this posting. They're really very silly.

No comments: